Nashville BBQ

That might have been after it sold. I think it happened in the late 80s, but I don’t really remember for sure.

Ah! I was close. From Wikipedia, "Bob Yarmuth purchased the company in 1991 and continues as the company's owner and CEO today."

This is the place I mentioned that used to be a Sonny's. It's actually in Hawthorne, not Citra (about 12 miles or so up the road).

"Dianne Tillman began her career 51 years ago as a teenager, working as a server in her father's (Sonny Tillman) restaurant in Cocoa, FL. When Sonny opened his store on Waldo Road in Gainesville, Dianne worked for him until 1983 when she opened her own restaurant and operated as Sonny's for 25 years. After deciding she wanted to go in a different direction, she changed the name of her store to "Dianne's Old Time Barbeque" and went back to the style of barbeque she learned as a young girl."

If you are old enough to remember Sonny's when it was good, you'll appreciate Dianne's bbq as it's made the same way Sonny Tillman used to do it.

I have been going to Florida for over 50 years, and remember when Sonny's was good. It has been a long time since I ate in one, just mediocre now.

I have been going to Florida for over 50 years, and remember when Sonny's was good. It has been a long time since I ate in one, just mediocre now.

Try Dianne’s next time and tell me what you think.

Thread drift, but I recently flew into the Moore County airport in Dumas TX and had some great brisket at the airport diner. Nice folks too.

Back