Low-cost, portable CO detector?

40YearDream

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
40YearDream
Anyone have experience with this? (Just noticed this in an ad on Barnstormers)

Looks like it could be convenient when flying rental or club aircraft (that don't have anything better than the 'card with the dot')

Looks like it could be convenient when flying rental or club aircraft (that don't have anything better than the 'card with the dot')
Luckily the trainers I’ve flown in are so drafty that the vents could be pumping out chlorine gas and it wouldn’t matter

I use the USB version of one and it gave so much whine and interference through the electrical system we couldn't use it and returned it to Amazon.

I've been very happy with my Aithre Shield. I have the older version, rechargeable. Had an exhaust leak, and knew it very quickly!

That's what I use, too, but I don't know if it counts as "low-cost" per the OP's request.
It might be a little pricey at $200. It is much cheaper than paying for a funeral.

I use the more basic entry-level model from Sensorcom, the Inspector (CO) INS2-CO-01. It does all I want, and the alerting threshold is useful for cockpit needs.

From time to time, they run a discount.

- Martin
That is what I have. I added HD 'Velcro' to the backside of the carrier and adhered it to a clear spot on my panel. Battery lasts about 6 mo if not turned off between flights (I leave it on so I don't forget to activate it).

Sensorcon has plastic holders to mount the unit to your panel, or interior.

A Forensics Detectors CO detector is $99 and is a battery powered device that has a digital display of CO levels, short dwell times (important in a transport vehicle) and low alarm levels (9 and 25 ppm). Can be Velcro mounted in a convenient place, and can be removed from its mounting bracket for battery changes. I find the CR-2032 batteries last 6-9 months.

It can detect low levels of CO from taxiing with the canopy open (without alarming) and it went off once in the maintenance hangar at 10 ppm or so when it was being heated with a propane heater.

So in an eerie coincidence, I saw a post on Insta who experienced a serious CO leak but his detector didn't go off until he was back on the ground taxiing. It was a Forensics Detectors model and with his windows open the airflow must have been drawing it away from the sensor until they landed. But the symptoms he described were pretty scary, luckily they realized what was happening and got themselves to safety.

That is what I have. I added HD 'Velcro' to the backside of the carrier and adhered it to a clear spot on my panel. Battery lasts about 6 mo if not turned off between flights (I leave it on so I don't forget to activate it).
Plus, if you have to activate it each time before flight, it will take 5-10 minutes for the unit to self-calibrate in a CO-free environment. If you activate it during taxi, and you have CO ingress, it may calibrate "zero" when in the presence of significant CO levels. Like you, I leave mine on all the time, and ensure that when it is activated, that it is done in a CO-free environment.

I hear these guys are pretty cheap and they work for bird feed.

1715372028128.png

Otherwise, we have the yellow->brown chemical detectors in our aircraft.

Plus, if you have to activate it each time before flight, it will take 5-10 minutes for the unit to self-calibrate in a CO-free environment. If you activate it during taxi, and you have CO ingress, it may calibrate "zero" when in the presence of significant CO levels. Like you, I leave mine on all the time, and ensure that when it is activated, that it is done in a CO-free environment.
My choice has been to wear the CO meter clipped to my jacket, or the breast pocket of my shirt (depending on the season of the year) so that it's positioned close to where I'm breathing the air. Both the Sensorcon device I used for years until the sensor no longer passed calibration, or its current non-name brand replacement turn on and zero within about 30 seconds, so turning the device off and on (prior to starting the engine) between uses is not inconvenient.

Sensorco has a running discount for their units.

That’s what I have - needs to be calibrated periodically for $50 - plus $20 if they need to replace a chip (I think I was a chip)
I suspect the replaceable part is the amperometric detector. The detector will eventually run out of electrolyte and the device needs to be discarded or the detector replaced.

A Forensics Detectors CO detector is $99 and is a battery powered device that has a digital display of CO levels, short dwell times (important in a transport vehicle) and low alarm levels (9 and 25 ppm). Can be Velcro mounted in a convenient place, and can be removed from its mounting bracket for battery changes. I find the CR-2032 batteries last 6-9 months.

It can detect low levels of CO from taxiing with the canopy open (without alarming) and it went off once in the maintenance hangar at 10 ppm or so when it was being heated with a propane heater.
I have the same detector. It works great.

Back