Road Bump in Buying a Plane - No Place to Put It

It comes from the tax code. 37% is the highest statutory marginal rate.
Bingo.
You might want to consider that many of the people on this site personally pay those higher tax rates
Bingo.

I think some people don't know what a deduction is, and think it is subtracted from taxes paid, rather than from taxable income.

I'm feeling blessed. New pilot (but not young), bought a vintage 1956 C172 last year. She's always been hangared. We've moved her around a few times, but always to get a better spot. Her new hangar is snug and unheated, but it's right at my home airport with two big beautiful runways. They say the waiting list is 2 years here, but they've just added some new, bigger hangars. East Texas has a lot of airports. I know that some of them will let you build your own hangar on their property. The GA community is friendly here.

Well, in that case, Howdy Neighbor! I’m at KOSA Mount pleasant. Fly over on a Saturday morning sometime and I’ll give you a tour of the warbird museum. My hangar backs up to the museum area. We are open 8AM until noon Saturdays. We close the museum for the Winter at the end of November and reopen early April.

I go to Maxwell’s at KGGG from time to time for various things.

Come see us!

Well, in that case, Howdy Neighbor! I’m at KOSA Mount pleasant. Fly over on a Saturday morning sometime and I’ll give you a tour of the warbird museum. My hangar backs up to the museum area. We are open 8AM until noon Saturdays. We close the museum for the Winter at the end of November and reopen early April.

I go to Maxwell’s at KGGG from time to time for various things.

Come see us!
I shall have to do that just as soon as I can. We tried to visit the museum one day, but we arrived too late. My little Cessna needs to stretch her wings and do some flying! :) I keep her behind SkyPark.
IMG_2620.PNG

I would start cold-calling/paying a visit to any hangar landlords in the area. When I was looking, the airport I wanted had both privately owned and city owned hangars. Wait lists were 4-6 years for anything. Emails didn’t even get a response, not even a “ok, you’re on the list.”

Out of desperation I called one of the owners (he owned several buildings of hangars). He asked if I could be at the airport that day. I told him yes. Within an hour I had a hangar. He explained that the wait lists are a pain because by the time he gets to someone, years have gone by, they either aren’t interested, don’t fly anymore, found something else, or just don’t answer. Standing in front of them with a checkbook in hand and an airplane to store often puts you at the head of the line.

Then he should buy the FAA.
The relevant part of the funding continuum looks like this:
<---unfunded---funded---absurdly funded---obscenely funded--->

You've suggested a move from absurdly to obscenely. I think he should stick with airfields, probably no bigger than a Class C.

Simple retired guy here should rethink what “absurdly funded” means to me vs this group of 1% upper crust pilot landed gentry folk.

Now, time for me to head off to my local high end Waffle House. Think I’ll splurge and add some extras to my hash browns. Big spender today ….

My splurge is to add ham, mushrooms, and onions. Surprisingly, WH hash browns aren’t that bad for my Noom.

Back