Anyone been to Bowman Field KY recently?

SkyhawkJ

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SkyhawkJ
Just curious how many of you guys have flown into Bowman Field in Louisville KY recently? And if you have what’d you think of it?

Define recent. I was there in 2021 and 2022, and they were awesome. $12/night, and waived with fee. Rental (enterprise) was waiting for us. We drove out to ramp, loaded up, and we were gone. Even stayed late as we had a delayed departure to get there. I was nice to the counter babe, and she gave me the SS price even though the line guys filled me up.

Edit: Looks like they raised the overnights a staggering $3/night since we were there.

Was just talking about Bowman. @Lance F stopped there during rough river. I haven't been there since 2020; funny how time flies.

Anyway, don't miss the restaurant, "Le Relais", and bring something nice to wear.

I was there for a stop on the way to OSH last year, and then again during a visit to Louisville to have dinner in the restaurant at the old terminal. Flying was easy in-and-out, and I loved the art deco of the old terminal.

Both ATC and the FBO were easy to deal with, and I quickly got in and out with minimal hassle and expense. I seem to recall the FBO sold bourbon-themed snacks and hot sauces. I’d easily stop there again if I needed to go to Louisville. That said, if I’m going to the area, I’m probably headed to LEX.

Was there June 2022 for a family reunion. Because I'm a cheapskate I called flight schools asking about ramp space. They all pointed me to Louisville Executive, so paid the tie down rate - which is cheaper than you can park a car anywhere in town. We had one day where we rotated family through in groups for a scenic flight circling under the charlie shelf. Exec set us up in the conference room for passenger briefs and to wait in the AC instead of baking in the sun - thumbs way up. On the way out picked up flight following and ATC wasn't super happy we were a fly buzzing under their flows at KSDF(I think we did about 5 circles in about 2 hours) but they got over it when I told them I was getting out of their hair.
Haven't personally been to Le Relais but what I've heard echoes above - very nice.

Anyway, don't miss the restaurant, "Le Relais", and bring something nice to wear.
I’ve been to Le Relais two or three times. Excellent.

Hawks were bad for Bedard but crappin for Macklin came up a little short tonight.

I am adding Bowman to my places to visit list. Looks like a great airport and restaurant

Reservations required/encouraged, and it’s French, so no drinking within 50’ of the airplane. (Schedule an overnight, and stay fancy at the 21c hotel in downtown.)

Define recent.
A couple years ago is pretty recent I suppose. Not a whole lot has changed really except, like you say, fees. Plus they repaved one of the runways.

I am adding Bowman to my places to visit list. Looks like a great airport and restaurant
Definitely do visit. It is a great airport. If you’re lucky you’ll get the controller who’s always in a great mood and goes in strong for the “seeyuh’s”. Haven’t tried the restaurant myself but judging by the way it’s chalked up to be in this thread I think I will soon.

There's a historic hotel downtown called The Seelbach. It's incredible. Ask for a tour. It's about a 10 minute Uber ride from Bowman to downtown, and the hotel to the museums and bars is walkable.

It's a special memory for me, as it's the first place I took my wife on an overnight in the airplane and showed her what kind of travel an airplane allows. Got her excited about it. Made the "hey, I want to buy this plane" discussion much easier.

There's a historic hotel downtown called The Seelbach. It's incredible. Ask for a tour. It's about a 10 minute Uber ride from Bowman to downtown, and the hotel to the museums and bars is walkable.

It's a special memory for me, as it's the first place I took my wife on an overnight in the airplane and showed her what kind of travel an airplane allows. Got her excited about it. Made the "hey, I want to buy this plane" discussion much easier.
Aw man. You talked to my wife at RR and know she’s a history buff. Now we are going

Couple blocks away is the Brown hotel, also a neat one. Birthplace of the hot brown sandwich. In a similar vein is the Speed Art Museum - which is about what it sounds like with something for everyone.
Of course there's also a little bit of bourbon there, and if you're one to tour a distillery reservations are pretty much required, they book tours weeks in advance.

I did the Michters “tour” in their downtown location a couple of months ago and would easily repeat. We had reservations for the bar upstairs. Cool space, nice service, and good cocktails and bourbon flights.

Planned on staying there on my way home from Florida a few months ago. Weather made other plans for us so we ended up staying in Nashville and just flew over Louisville. But, from my conversation with the FBO, they were as nice as they come, got us set up with a car, tie down and super reasonable price. When i called to cancel, there was no problem either.

Back