I just got screwed..

Where I learned to skydive, two 182s stayed busy all day; often hot loading the next load. From 10:00 am to 7:00 pm; an easy 8-10 loads per plane per weekend day.
As I said. My experience with the company at my field whom I thought might be on the fringe, (financially). Your mileage may vary. I wish the OP, and everyone, the best.

Blue skys,
Joe

I am not licensed to practice law in Minnesota, but in my state, that conduct is actionable.
If the OP has documentation of what was promised and isn't withholding important facts from what he posted here, then he is a great candidate for small claims court: Able to fill out basic government forms as demonstrated by getting a pilot license, presently lots of time on his hands, living about 30 miles from the applicable courthouse, and has a claim that seems to pass the straight-face test. I think it's called Conciliation Court in Minnesota and the jurisdictional limit is $15,000.

Getting a judgment, levying on the airplane, and selling it piece by piece right in front of the offending employer might not look great on your next job application. But it might help pay for the money lost in reliance on the empty promises that brought the OP to a crappy apartment in the upper Midwest, cooling his heels for weeks waiting for the job to begin.

Back