Next plane...

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Studying for IFR, raining outside, daydreaming...
What would y'all recommend for a next plane? Home field is 2100' paved. Grass strip parallels it.
Currently have a 172M. Would like to go faster and carry a little bit more.
Would worry about a Mooney consistent getting into field of this length.
Bo... hard to find one under $200k that don't have a close to timed out engine with the best of 1980s avionics.
JGAC? (just get a Comanche)
Like the idea of the 177RG, but that funky gear. Love the two doors, though.
I've read that Tigers like long runways, and 2100' with trees isn't a long runway.

Basic missions are flying from NH to NC a couple of times a year, and flying locally for fun. Occasional smooth grass strips.

Last edited:
A few questions -
Age - I ask because insurance will be a problem for a retract if you get to 70.

Future speed and load requirements - any spouses / kids in the future? Maybe need a 6 seater?

Budget - can you handle the cost of a twin?

Why would you be concerned about getting a mooney in there but not a bonanza?

I don't consider the Comanche a short field airplane, nor a grass strip airplane. I know some do land it on grass but I'd feel bad landing mine on anything other than nicely paved runways. Also, I don't think 2,100 ft. of runway is enough for a Comanche on a hot, humid summer day. Landing, sure. But taking off, while possible, definitely not a whole lot of room for error.

Yup, its not a runway I'll take off with my 172 fully loaded when its 95deg out, either. I'll have the squirrels throwing acorns at me at the end of the runway. I have seen Comanches and Mooneys there before during the summer, but I'm guessing they're not heavily loaded.

A few questions -
Age - I ask because insurance will be a problem for a retract if you get to 70.

Future speed and load requirements - any spouses / kids in the future? Maybe need a 6 seater?

Budget - can you handle the cost of a twin?

No twins. I'm dumb, but not stupid. No need for a 6 seater.
I'm old, but not 70 old. :lol: That's old old.

Ok. I’m 63, so for me buying a retract would be a no go as I don’t want to get rid of it in 7 years.

Probably back to a fixed gear Skylane or if you want some more speed a 182 retract version.

Last edited:
I hate to feed the stereotype, but a V-tail Bonanza would do this pretty well, at a cost well below 200k. Otherwise, 182 or Dakota. A Skywagon, of course, would do this easily.

I'm going to take the assignment in a different direction.

You're not hauling many pax, you're doing primarily short haul local flights with only a couple longer trips per year and you have an airfield that can be a little tight to get out of? Forget speed, I'd get something like a Maule (trike or tail dragger).

You'll fly more b/c you'll hardly (if ever) be on the margin for takeoff/landing performance, on shorter local flights the speed difference will be measured in single digit minutes, and it'll only cost you an hour or two per year on your longer trip.
That to me seems like the winning choice over going a few knots faster which will really only come in handy a couple times per year at the expense of being nervous about getting into/out of your airfield.

Cessna 175. Almost as fast as a 182, almost as much useful load as a 182.
Geared engine.

From my 182-S POH:

Short field technique departure, 3100lbs (MGTOW) 40C/1000 MSL will need 1980ft to clear 50' obstacle
2700lbs 40C/1000MSL will need 1410ft to clear 50' obstacle
Short field landing at 2950lbs 40C/1000MSL will need 1475ft over a 50' obstacle.

Mine will hit book numbers all day long and twice on Sunday with a 24yo engine with just at 1000hrs on it.

Studying for IFR, raining outside, daydreaming...
What would y'all recommend for a next plane? Home field is 2100' paved. Grass strip parallels it.
Currently have a 172M. Would like to go faster and carry a little bit more.
Would worry about a Mooney consistent getting into field of this length.
Bo... hard to find one under $200k that don't have a close to timed out engine with the best of 1980s avionics.
JGAC? (just get a Comanche)
Like the idea of the 177RG, but that funky gear. Love the two doors, though.
I've read that Tigers like long runways, and 2100' with trees isn't a long runway.

Basic missions are flying from NH to NC a couple of times a year, and flying locally for fun. Occasional smooth grass strips.
A 182 is probably your best choice. If you want faster, a 182RG.

Reactions: WDD
Geared engine.
tenor.gif

Is there any chance there’s a slope to this runway?

I did my PP in a Grumman Tiger on a 2000 foot runway.

That said, I would not try to depart there at or near max gross. Especially not in the summer.

I have flown my Mooney out of 2800 with lots of room left, but prefer 3000 or more.

Don’t write off the early Bonanzas. I had my F model in and out of that airport in the summer with no issues. Although when it came time to fly back to PR I met my wife and dogs at PSM to top off the 90 gallons of fuel. They can be found for reasonable money. Mine with an E-225 and tip tanks (now 100gal total) has a useful load of about 1050 lbs.

I don't consider the Comanche a short field airplane, nor a grass strip airplane. I know some do land it on grass but I'd feel bad landing mine on anything other than nicely paved runways. Also, I don't think 2,100 ft. of runway is enough for a Comanche on a hot, humid summer day. Landing, sure. But taking off, while possible, definitely not a whole lot of room for error.
You shut your mouth! It is an outstanding grass strip plane. I even launched at near full gross, 5000DA from 2600 grass and made it out easily. I was off around the 1400' mark.

2100? Depends on what the approach and departure ends are like.

You shut your mouth! It is an outstanding grass strip plane. I even launched at near full gross, 5000DA from 2600 grass and made it out easily. I was off around the 1400' mark.

At night…..with no lights. :)

I don't mistreat my wife, my dog or my Comanche! Hence, no grass under the Comanche's tires :p Only beautiful, long, perfectly paved runways.

Are there years of the 182RG that are less prone to gear saddle issues?
Less prone in this case is still going to be bad if the saddles crack.

Other topic: 2100 foot runway.
What might help with your short field is a STOL kit.

At night…..with no lights. :)

Its much better now. Before it was paved, there were no real runway lights, and a red light on a pole on the north end. If you couldn't see the red light when landing heading south, you were too low as the trees were blocking the red light. :lol:

Last edited:
Its much better now. Before it was paved, there were no real runway lights, and a red light on a pole on the north end. If you couldn't see the red light when landing heading south, you were too low as the trees were blocking the red light. :lol:

My first night landing at Hampton during primary training, we got to short final before both the instructor and I realized we hadn’t turned the landing light on. Oops! It was very dark…

I'll second the Maule recommendation. The 235 Hp version isn't a lot faster than the 172, but it'll haul anything you can squeeze into the cabin. The back seat is just held in with fast pins, so removing it is less than a 1 minute chore and it gets off and lands very short. My 3000' home field has runway exits each 1,000' and I've never had to take the second turnout, even fully loaded on the hottest day of the summer. Check out this baggage area for an airplane camping trip to the High Sierra fly-in. Note that there is already a bicycle in the plane! They come in both tricycle and taildragger versions. I do a lot of off-runway landings, so I fly the taildragger, but the trike is equally competent in the STOL environment. P1190552.JPG

Back